Azure ASM to ARM Migration
Now in Azure we can achieve Goal on ASM to ARM migration with “Azure Migration Service” PoSH (PowerShell) – Platform based Migration & Open Source tools based migration which has recently released.
Different approaches in migrating the Azure ASM to ARM.
- ASM to ARM VNET Resource Migration using Azure PoSH (Which required delete and recreating the ExpressRoute & S2S gateway V1 and involve minimal downtime to recreate the gateway and establish the connectivity to Existing Onpremise connectivity). It has capability to migrate all resources like Azure VM, IP, NSG, Endpoints, Availability Set and storage Accounts.
- ASM to ARM VM Resource Migration using Azure PoSH – where you want to migrate to an already established network topology.
- ASM to ARM Storage Resource Migration using Azure PoSH – It is achievable post migration of Azure all resources from ASM to ARM without downtime.
- ASM VM Resource Copying manually to ARM Resources using Azure PoSH – Which required ARM VNETs, Resource Groups and complete change in the IP of the system and Public IP’s associated to it.
- ASM2ARM Opensource scripts to migrate – which will migrate the single resource VM from Azure Service Management Stack to Azure Resource Management Stack where you want to migrate to an already established network topology (vNETs, Resource Groups etc).Gihub link – https://github.com/fullscale180/asm2arm
- MigAz.exe – Open Source Migration tools – which uses the JSON Template to rebuild the Azure resources in ARM – Primary Azure PoSH used is “New-AzureRmResourceGroupDeployment” once export JSON Template. – Which will have downtime on the migration with respective to copying the storageblob vhds to new storage account and maintain the data consistency. This has an additional option to migrate a complete set of Azure Service Management IaaS resources to Azure Resource Manager IaaS resources.https://github.com/Azure/classic-iaas-resourcemanager-migration/tree/master/migaz
- Azure Site Recovery Manager where will migrate the resource from Azure V1 to ARM v2 resources. Will have change in IP’s. MS Article – https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/documentation/services/site-recovery/
- FissionCloud has similar capabilities of ASR from third party to migrate the resource from ASM to ARM resources.
Note: In current Azure Migration service is not supported to move the resources on existing ASM VNET Gateway where we need to delete and recreate gateway and associated S2S VPN or Express Route links which have required to recreate and in ARM. In more detailed Azure unsupported Platform level migration are referred below from MS Article.
As we have multiple approaches in migration as mentioned.
We have minimal downtime with Azure Migration Service PoSH as referred in the Microsoft Article.
Additional document has FAQ and process of migration operation.
Azure Migration Services – Platform Supported Migration PoSH (PowerShell) details for your reference.
Thanks for reading. I will sharing you Platform supported Migration approach and PoSH details in my next article.